Friday, June 21, 2013

Pass it on - Little Free Library

In the past year I started noticing little bird house-like things popping up in my part of the city. Once I stopped to take a good look at one I realized it was a box of books. After about 30 seconds of research I learned that these are a worldwide phenomenon called Little Free Library. Little Free Library, Ltd. began in 2009 as a program of the non-profit organization Wisconsin Partners for SustainAbility. The main  idea is that you can build a  Little Free Library (LFL) at your home, place of business, etc. Anyone can place books in and anyone can take books out. LFL has plans on their site you can use or you can get creative and do your own. This project is great in so many ways! I think it is a community builder, a great way to recycle books, a great way to find new books and an overall a great way to pay it forward. Anyone can build a little free library! In my neighborhood a boy scout troop built one in the local park and many families have build them in front of their homes. Check out some little free libraries from around the globe and consider either building one, supporting the cause financially or just donating a book or two to your local LFLs. 

 
LFL on Facebook



 LFL on Pinterest

 


Need to find a LFL in your area? Click the map below.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment